Ease into the college life
First Year students are required to take one course in the fall, Critical Inquiry and Communication, designed to prepare them for active reading, research, writing, and public speaking. Building these skills early will help students succeed in other classes as well as prepare for communication beyond college.
Throughout the semester, students will:
- Read essays designed to engage and develop critical thinking and interpretive discussion skills
- Learn how to effectively use technology to communicate successfully at Morningside
- Write a series of papers designed to prepare them from writing requirements in other classes
- Learn to examine and evaluate sources on their perspectives, credibility and usefulness
- Formulate opinions, conduct research and compile an academic presentation to share with others